Photobucket

Monday, October 3, 2011

Some Random Late Night Thoughts

I’ve lived a fairly privileged life. That that life has not been overly successful is mostly my own fault aided by my ADHD. So I really have no reason to be depressed, but it doesn’t work that way. No matter how successful or fulfilling your life is depression can gut you and leave you a wreck. It’s what my Friend Alexander calls an invisible illness.

These are illnesses that do not have any obvious external symptoms. Things like depression, anxiety and ADHD. These illnesses are difficult to diagnose and difficult to treat. There is also a tendency by those not suffering from them to dismiss them as somehow not ‘real illnesses’. They urge people to ‘man up’ or ‘get over it’, this is spectacularly not helpful. These are real and debilitating illnesses as I have learned the hard way.

This brings me to another thought, just how much I hate the ‘your too sensitive, why so angry?’ line. This is usually uttered by some privileged twit when called on some hateful remark or joke he just made. The privileged one is trying to de-legitimize the anger felt by the person calling him on his oh so casual, meant no offence remake. This is not just a problem of the right, I see plenty of casual trans-misogyny from progressives as well. So the next time someone calls you on some remark or joke stop and actually listen to what they have to say, you may learn something.

No comments: