Photobucket

Monday, November 9, 2009

I Am Tired

Tired of posting about politics. I want to turn to queer theory, well my queer theories any way. The way I see queer is the concept that we are all unique in our own way and to a greater or lesser degree variable in our nature. Our senses of gender, sexuality and personality aren’t fixed but exist in a cloud like an electron. Most of us seem to have a rather small cloud that fits into the area of ‘normal’ sexual orientation and gender identity. The there are those of us whose diffuse clouds wander far from the main sequence.

We are the way we are because of a mixture of nature, nurture and environment.

And now I’m too tired to keep making sense but I will come back to this. I would rely love some discussion on this here or on Twitter.

1 comment:

revdisco said...

I agree with you. I am tired too and after studying sexual ethics in seminary, I finally sort of get it. Gender is not an either/or thing it exists on a spectrum. Also existing at the same time is sexual attraction and if we all admit it, that exists on a spectrum as well. I am straight (whatever that is) and married and in a heterosexual relationship (whatever that is) and I am tired that we can't all get past our fears and really get down to the core which is to love our neighbors as ourselves and love our God with all our hearts and minds and souls. ANd to my thinking that trumps it all. ANd we dont get to pick who we consider neighbor, we should treat each person as a neighbor and respect and love them as we have been asked to do.

I live in Maine and am still reeling from the vote that just took place. I thought dirigo state, the I lead state, had enough value on people's worth than was demonstrated. I guess the value is on independence rather than interdependence and we need to get past the independence and think of others more. At least my Church and whatever Church calls me to serve will be!!

I am proud to think of myself as gender queer. And that is because I dont subscribe to society's standards of what my gender role should be. Please know you dont walk alone in your fatigue! THere are people across the Country and of different beliefs and faiths and persuasions (whatever that means) who share your exhaustion that this is even a battle since it should just be basic human rights. Sad that we live in a society that doesn't get that.