Photobucket

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gender as Performance

In some ways all gender presentation is a performance, which is why I want to explore being a Drag King. But wait Natasha aren’t you a male bodied, pre transition Gender Queer who pretty much presents as male? Why yes I am which is why I am so interested in learning to perform as a Drag King. My male presentation up to now has been an unconscious result of how I was raised and acculturated. What I want to do now is deconstruct that presentation and relearn how to present as male. I want a consciously constructed presentation. I want to be able to vary my presentation to explore different male personas and modes.

I am hoping that this will help me when I finally try to present s female in the real world.

So any fabulous Drag Kings want a challenge?

No comments: